Saturday, October 1, 2016

I  bought an old house in Lackawaxen Pennsylvania this past April(2016). It was a real mess, but it was real cheap too.  I figured I could fix it up slowly over the span of a few years.  I've never blogged anything in my life,  but I didn't really find any online forums that allowed me to document the process and post photos, so here I am.

 The house was built sometime in the late 1800's . My best guess is between 1865 and 1875 based on dated photos of the area from that time frame. (edit spring 2020: Evidence found says the house was built in 1861)  There was an addition built onto the back of the house above the kitchen somewhere in the 1950's.  This addition has a flat roof on it, it is this flat roof that has failed and let water int the home.  Extensive water damage occurred in the first floor hallway, kitchen, and dining room floors as a result.

Here is what she looked like this past spring when I first visited :
Of course that is one of the best looking views of it, some are downright scary! This view of the back shows some of the real bad areas.  I had not closed on the house yet, but the realtor  was nice enough to let me climb up there and tarp the roof  so as to stop more water from coming in.



In June we finally had the closing, and I got this key.  This is where the fun really started! I'll update more in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment