Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I went up to the house to check on it this past weekend.  One of the neighbors had told me that the French door that I had recently replaced was not the original, but rather had been installed by the previous owner. She went on to say: "He put that on there some time ago."  I think the original front door was a pair of beautiful arched  doors."    Then she tells me that the original doors were down in the garage for the the longest time.  "They may still be there , you should take a look."

So, I head down to the garage, and look through the window. Sure enough, there leaning against the back wall of the garage are a pair of white arched doors.  I ran back up to the house and look at the front door frame:  sure enough you can see the outline of the original arched door frame.  It had been boxed in with some filler boards and a rectangular jamb had been installed to accommodate the 36" X 80" french door that I had just replaced last month.

edit:  I blew up the photo of the front door which was installed last month, and you can see the outline of the original arched door frame.


Of course I didn't have my camera with me to take a photo of the actual doors, but they look very similar to this:


It kinda matches the arch above the 3rd floor window :

I'm up in the air about what to do.  Stick with the nice solid rectangular door or try to return it to original.


1 comment:

  1. That is so cool!! Original, when time/funds/sanity permits!

    ReplyDelete