Sunday, October 20, 2019

Oh well...

       The progress at the house has reached the point where all structural issues are completed. 90% of the electrical re-wiring is done, and all compromised exterior siding has been repaired or replaced.

      Other than cosmetic concerns (ie. paint, trim, carpet, linoleum floor,  etc), the next real big project is to install all new plumbing and a new heating system.  This project must originate with re-activating the well so that we have a source for water.  This weekend I uncovered the well in the back yard.  I must say that I have some concerns and questions.

     This is the well:


Upon removing the cover, there is an obvious problem:


      The top section of concrete pipe is broken and has been this way for some time. It also sits flush with  the surrounding ground rather that rising up out of it ( standing proud of the soil) . I'm pretty sure that wells are supposed to be sealed up and elevated somewhat from the ground so that critters and ground/rain water cannot enter the water supply.

      Now, I'm certain that I could easily replace the top section of the concrete pipe with a longer section,  but I don't know if the wells water has been tainted or compromised.  Furthermore, If you look down into the 24" concrete pipe you will see an approximately 6" diameter pipe or casing which the water pipe and pump wires go down into.  see pic below

  I'm wondering if the smaller casing pipe is what actually goes down into the water and not the 24" concrete?

Does it matter if the 24" pipe was compromised as long as the smaller pipe was capped off with the blue cap?

How do I know how much voltage I should run to the well pump?  Is it 110 volt or 220?

If anyone reading this blog knows, or has a link to a real good water well forum,  please comment.

For what it's worth,  I stuck my head down into the 24" opening and took a few good sniffs. There is no unpleasant or foul odor in the well.

Fritz.

No comments:

Post a Comment