Monday, October 12, 2020

End of season odds & ends

       For the past 4 years the work season on the house has been April through August due mostly to my budget and the weather(temperature) This year, the budget was a little larger, which allowed somewhat constant work through till October. However, the money has run out and now my property & school taxes are due.

     Also, working during the cold winter months is not do-able, and while I did manage to get the boiler hooked up and test fired, the big delay of getting running  water from the well to feed the boiler resulted in not being able to complete the install. Therefore I once again have no heat for this upcoming winter season.

      The take away from all of this is that the work season for fixing up this house has come to an end for 2020.  I'll post updates when I can as they happen. At the end of each season, there is always some "winterizing " that needs to be done, so yesterday my wife Robin and I finished up some odds and ends to prepare the house for the long cold season. 

   We cut the grass, removed the A/C & closed and locked all the windows,  and we took all the paint and freezable liquids back to NY with us. we shut off some breakers and purged all the water from the well tank so it would not freeze.

      In an attempt to make sure the well pump feed pipes do not freeze, we backfilled dirt around the well in the backyard using my truck with the snowplow attached as a "yankee bulldozer".   I got a few pics of the end result:

 



     We also mixed & poured concrete in the basement behind the brick wall I built:






11/27 edit:  here's a shot of the ledge all cured and with a barrel sitting upon it where the water heater will be.


    

      Lastly, we put a few of the kitchen cabinets in place. They're not fastened to the wall yet, but it gives an idea of how it will look.



   Until next time, peace and good will.

No comments:

Post a Comment