Saturday, May 23, 2020

When opportunity knocks......

     Yep, it's like the old saying: "When opportunity knocks..... open the door.  So, thats what I did. I opened the door and found it was clean and quite cold! So I bought it. A 1946 General Electric refrigerator.
      Truth be told, the house is not ready for appliances yet, but the price was right and just like the 1950's Royal Rose gas range I bought last summer, this fridge is a nice addition to the kitchen and compliments the old farmhouse sink and the glass front cabinets that will be going back in.
       This fridge works perfectly, needs very little cleaning and touch ups, and is incredibly quiet! I'll be bringing it up to the house tomorrow when Rob and I go up to work.

Edit (6-10-2010)  I found a blog entry about another fridge just like mine:  http://hartwoodroses.blogspot.com/2014/04/restoring-our-vintage-ge-refrigerator.html
 




3 comments:

  1. Nice! That reminds me of a fridge my great-grandparents had in their outdoor screenhouse. It was an octogonal cement slab, with some sort of roof, and screen around most sides. (In the Pine Barrens, you need something like that to spend time outside without feeding too many moquitos.) Pretty much, the "beer fridge".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is my redneck showing? Yep!

    ReplyDelete