Monday, June 15, 2020

A choice to make

       I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but what the heck. After the sheetrock is spackled & sanded,  and the walls are painted in the piano room, the floor will need to be repaired.  The plan all along has been to repair it only where needed.
     As you can see in the photo below, the floor in the piano room was done with a 6" square porcelain tile.  All except for the area where the piano was on the right, and where a built in piece of furniture was along the back wall. Furthermore, there was / is a hole in the floor where five tiles are broken and the plywood below them is soft.
 
     We found roughly thirty (30) brand new matching tiles for this floor down in the basement.  The plan was to repair the hole in the floor and pull up the wooden section where the piano was and replace all sections with brand new matching tile.

   That was the plan until today. You see, today my boss was kind enough to give me (free) 130 square feet of eastern white pine hardwood flooring.  Now, I'm kind of toying with the idea of ripping all the tile out and putting in some wood flooring.

   
    The pine planks are 7" wide tongue & groove.  Yes, it is not the style of wood floor that was originally in this 1861 house, but neither is the porcelain tile.  The wood would look so good, and would compliment any wall color, whereas the tile has a pale pink hue to it that severely limits the decor of the room.  I still have to run it by my wife Robin and see what she thinks, but I'm leaning toward the pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment