Sunday, June 21, 2020

I lost my friend.

 I’m not sure how to write this blog entry, I don’t really know how to say this. Robbie has passed away.
I found out yesterday and I hoped it was a mistake, but I just got confirmation from his cousin.  He’s gone. 

     Anyone who has read this blog for the past 5 years knows that Robbie was my friend and my worker.  Robbie could do anything. His specialty was tile and stone work, but he did masonry, framing, roofing, plumbing, sheetrock, etc.  Hell, Robbie could do anything! I met Robbie nine years ago, he had his own business and my boss hired him to re-model the office at our shop, and replace all the windows. I was so impressed with his work and the speed at which he completed the task, that I asked for one of his business cards:


When a car crashed into and destroyed the detached garage at my house back in 2012, I hired Robbie to re-build it. His price was unbeatable, and the garage was completed within three days. He repaired a section of the foundation, and widened the garage door opening by framing out custom swing out barn-style doors.  From that point on he was my guy for construction and home repairs.  In 2014 I had Robbie install hardwood floors in the upstairs of my house. The results were amazing. Since then he has re-tiled two bathrooms for me, done plumbing repairs, rebuilt a deck and gates at my sons house and installed some very nice railings on two staircases. 






  When I bought this 1861 Lackawaxen house in 2016, one of the first things I did was to get Robbie up there to get his opinion.  I remember how he looked at me after assessing the damage. His eyes got big and I feel like he  wanted to tell me that I had made a mistake buying something this bad, but he said we could fix it.  Robbie is responsible for at least 90% of the progress that was made on this house. It would not be where it is today if not for him. He was truly an amazingly talented man. For the past five spring/summer seasons, we worked on this house every weekend.  We worked side by side, just him and I.  I learned so much by working with and helping Robbie. Most importantly we developed a great friendship.  I got to know Rob’s family and he got to know mine. My wife Robin was always referring Robbie to her friends and relatives who needed work done.  

       The coming weeks and months of working on my house without him are going to be tough. He’ll no longer be there to show me how to do things and help me to do them. He won’t be there for me to ask his advice and to tell me what materials to buy.  But the hardest part will be that I’ll no longer have my friend there to talk to, to laugh with, to work along side of.  I’m going to miss you Rob. May God wrap his arms around you and may your soul be at rest.

Fritz


Here are a few photos of my friend Robbie.













No comments:

Post a Comment